The deadline to register to vote in this November’s election is quickly approaching.
NY voters must register by October 8, 2021 to cast ballots this year.
There are several options for doing so.
You can apply in-person at the DMV when completing a driver license, learner permit, or non-driver ID transaction. Reservations are required to visit any DMV office.
Applications can also be made online. Visit the DMV website to register or update information on file with the Board of Elections.
Online submissions are due by October 8.
Notices of change of address from registered voters received by October 13, 2021 by a county board of elections must be processed and entered in the records in time for the election.
To apply by mail, applications must be postmarked no later than October 8 and received by a Board of Elections no later than October 13.
To be eligible to vote in New York, you must:
- be a United States citizen;
- be 18 years old (you may pre-register at 16 or 17 but cannot vote until you are 18);
- be a resident of this state and the county, city or village for at least 30 days before the election;
- not be in prison for a felony conviction;
- not be adjudged mentally incompetent by a court;
- not claim the right to vote elsewhere.
Read more about the process for registering to vote on the DMV website.