Local News

Virgil Fire Respond to Reported Dryer Vent Fire on Webb Road – Investigation Finds Different Cause

Advertisement

Have a news tip? TeXt Us @ 607-749-WXHC (9942) or e-mail us here.

 

Just before 6pm on Monday, June 24th, Virgil Fire was dispatched to a possible structure fire at a residence on Webb Road. Due to the type of call, Cortlandville Fire was also dispatched to the address. Reports given to dispatch was of a dryer vent that had caught on fire, but the occupants of the residence believed they had it extinguished.


Virgil Fire said in a release during their investigation they learned the dryer had not been used in a week, and the dryer being the source of the fire was then ruled out. Firefighters continued their investigation and also secured the gas utility to the home that was in close proximity Virgil Fire says, to the dryer duct. Further details revealed that the homeowner was lighting a gas stove around the time of the fire.

Investigators were also able to find arching on a copper water line which was also in contact with the dryer vent exhaust. Firefighters then isolated the power to the house. Virgil Codes was also notified by Virgil Fire and the homeowner was informed to contact their gas provider, an electrician and an electrical inspector.

The fire was quickly extinguished by a fire extinguisher by an occupant of the residence prior to the arrival of Virgil Fire. The fire department notes the quick actions prevented significant damage, but also noted the importance of having properly working smoke detectors. 

Additionally assisting Virgil Fire was Dryden and McLean Fire Departments and Cortland County 9-1-1.

On Air Now

Now Playing On X101

Download The X101 App

×

Site Designed & Hosted by Eves Digital