Listen Live

Update To Sunday’s HAZMAT Incident In Cortland

Local News

(PHOTO–The scene of Sunday’s HAZMAT situation from MicroBac Labs in Cortland. Courtesy of the Cortland Professional Firefighter’s Association Facebook page.)

Cortland’s HazMat team was in the middle of its First Responders charity softball game against Cortland Police Department when it was called to a possible fire at MicroBac Labs on Buck Drive.

Strong smells of chemical odor were in the air and meter readings inside showed lethal levels of carbon monoxide, hydrogen sulfide and hydrogen cyanide in the building.

The team formulated a plan with the Cortland Fire Department, suited up and went door to door inside the building until they found a utility closet that had caught fire and burned itself out.

It then cleared the rest of the building of any possible hazmat issues and returned to service upon decontamination.

Assisting the HAZMAT team heavily at the scene were the Cortlandville and Homer Fire Departments. Other agencies involved were TLC EMS, Cortland County Sheriff Office, and National Grid.

Related Articles Is Powered By:
Powered By
Copyright 2020. Eves Broadcasting Inc.

Back to Top