Cortland United Way has planned the county’s first-ever “607 Day” for this Sunday, June 7, encouraging members of the community to plan neighborhood cleanups, help their elderly neighbors with yard work and even donate blood.
Residents can also participate in four family-friendly competitions, built around activities people already love, designed to get people outside.
“2020 has been a difficult year. Now more than ever, we need to rally together and reflect on the culture and community that makes Cortland County a great place and live,” said Christella Yonta, Executive Director of the United Way. “Although we can’t be physically together, we can still make an impact and help provide resources to assist area families in need.”
WXHC will speak with Yonta on Friday for more details about the special initiative.
Details on the “competitions” are as follows:
- Virtual 5k Run or Walk – Complete at your own pace, on your own time. Registration is $20 and comes with an official 607 Day bib to download.
- 5K Walk, Run & Roll – ‘The race for the rest of us.’ 0.3 miles to glorious victory. $10 per person or $20 per family. A special bib has been designed for families to decorate.
- Socially Distant Not-a-Golf-Tournament Outing – A best ball outing for teams of 2 or 4, with prizes awarded to the top three scores.
- Chalk It Up Sidewalk Chalk Contest – All ages and families are welcome to participate. Celebrity Judges Vinnie Bellardini and Mike Eves from X101 Always Classic will award prizes.
There are three categories for artists:
-Young artists through age 12 all skill levels
-Novice 12+ all skill levels
-Elite 12+ intermediate to advanced skill levels
Prizes will be awarded for all events and will support local businesses.
All funds raised will support 501c3 organizations on the frontlines providing essential services across the County as we move from Relief to Recovery.
More details and registration at CortlandUnitedWay.org.
Local American Red Cross blood drives are set up for this Saturday (June 6) and Tuesday (June 9) at the following times and locations:
- Saturday, June 6 – 10am to 3pm at the Cortland Ramada, 2 River St.
- Tuesday, June 9 – 9am to 2pm at the Cortland YMCA, 22 Tompkins St.
Appointments are given first priority and can be made by calling 1-800-RED-CROSS or visiting redcrossblood.org.