A husband and wife suffered non-life threatening injuries after the camper they were in exploded, State Police say.
Just before 11am on Monday, September 25th, State Police in Lafayette responded to 1335 West Valley Road in the Town of Spafford for a reported explosion. Once Troopers arrived, they found a Chevy Silverado with a camper on its bed, was blown apart.
Firefighters from the Spafford Fire Department found a woman inside the camper under debris. State Police have identified her as 74 year old Barbara J Hamlin. Both State Police and Spafford Fire worked to clear the debris out the back of the camper to get to Hamlin. She was conscious, but had a visible left ankle fracture.
The husband, identified as 75 year old Robert M. Hamlin also had visible burn injuries to his face from the explosion when Troopers interviewed him. Hamlin said they had accidently left their propane tanks open which were attached to the camper.
He continued on saying his wife must’ve went inside the camper and turned on the stove, which then caused the explosion. Robert Hamlin was standing outside the camper when it exploded, knocking him to the ground.
Damage was significant to the camper, and to the exterior of a nearby house. Both Robert and Barbara were transported to Upstate University Hospital with non-life threatening injuries.
The Onondaga County Sheriff’s Office, Otisco Fire Department, Amber FD, Borodino FD, and MAVES also assisted both the State Police and Spafford Fire Department.
*Featured Image via Spafford Fire Department*