Two Cortland men were arrested last week following a major drug bust in the City that led authorities to the discovery of 59 pounds of prepared green marijuana and 1000 vape cartridges–a total street value of between $242,000.00 and $310,000.00.
Investigators from CPD were joined by State Police as they followed up on six suspicious packages that were arriving and destined to be delivered to addresses in the City of Cortland, each with return addresses in Southern California.
A State Police K-9 unit alerted officers to the presence of controlled substance in each of the first 3 packages that had been set aside as suspicious. A search warrant was obtained and the packages were opened:
- The first 2 packages were addressed to a fictitious name at 53 Clayton Avenue in the City and were found to contain 1000 THC vape cartridges. THC is the psychoactive chemical found in marijuana. These vape cartridges can be purchased illegally at a wholesale price of $12,000.00 for 1000 cartridges. The street level price is $40.00 to $50.00/ cartridge, giving the contents of these
2 packages a street value of $40,000.00 to $50,000.00.
- The 3rd package was addressed to a fictitious name at 23 Helen Avenue in the City found to contain 15 pounds of prepared green marijuana, with a wholesale price of about $30,000.00 and a street value of $48,000.00 to $62,000.00.
- The next day (July 23) more packages arrived and were set aside as suspicious. A 4th package was addressed to a fictitious name at 15 Hubbard Street in the City, which was found to contain 20 pounds of prepared green marijuana, with a wholesale price of about $40,000.00 and a street value of $64,000.00 to $89,600.00.
- The 5th package was again sent to 23 Helen Avenue in the City and found to contain another 15 pounds of marijuana, with a wholesale price of about $30,000.00 and a street value of $48,000.00 to $62,000.00.
- The 6th package was sent to a fictitious name at 10 Duane Street in the City and found to contain 10 pounds of prepared green marijuana, with a wholesale price of about $20,000.00 and a street value of $32,000.00 to $44,800.00.
The investigation was helped along by the Cortland County Sheriff’s Office and the United States Drug Enforcement Administration.
Suspects were developed during the investigation and two arrests have been made thus far, including 21-year-old Michael Bay, of Helen Avenue, and 36-year-old John Aspinwall, of Hubbard Street.
Bay was released and is scheduled to appear in City Court on August 9.
Aspinwall was remanded to the Cortland County Jail in lieu of $1000.00 cash bail or $2000.00 bond.
The investigation is continuing and anyone with information pertaining to this case is asked to contact City Police Detective Lieutenant Michael Strangeway at 607-758-8307.