SUNY Cortland’s once again being considered one of the top institutions in the U.S. by Money Magazine’s annual “Best College for Your Money” report, which this year placed the College at 141st nationally in terms of success combining quality and affordability.
For the second straight year, Cortland ranked highest on the list of all SUNY comprehensive colleges. In total, the magazine ranked a total of 744 colleges out of 2,400 across the country.
“Once again, we are gratified by this recognition of our ability to offer academic excellence, transformative experiences and a healthy and exciting environment at a reasonable cost,” said SUNY Cortland President Erik J. Bitterbaum.
To construct its rankings, Money weighed more than 19,000 data points, which included tuition, family borrowing and estimated career earnings. It ranked colleges on 26 factors, including six-year graduation rate, instructor quality, student debt, ability to repay debt and a variety of statistics tied to earnings after graduation.
Research was conducted with the assistance of the U.S. Department of Education, Peterson’s and PayScale.com.
Additional SUNY Cortland recognition from national publications and organizations:
- The Princeton Review named SUNY Cortland to its 2020 lists for “Best Northeastern” colleges and top “Green Colleges.”
- Kiplinger placed Cortland on its annual list of the top 500 best college values for 2019.
- The university ranked No. 94 in the nation on the top public colleges and universities list developed by CollegeConsensus.com.
- YourLocalSecurity.com analyzed data from the U.S. Department of Education and the Federal Bureau of Investigation and named Cortland the safest college environment in New York state. Cortland was previously named the safest college town in New York by Safewise.com in 2017.
- Cortland placed in the top 3% of most sustainable campuses in the nation by STARS, the Sustainability, Tracking and Assessment Rating System.
- The master’s concentration for coaching in the Physical Education Department was ranked No. 5 in the nation by TheBestSchools.org.
- CollegeFactual.com named the university’s Communication and Media Studies Department and the History Department to its lists of the “Best Value for the Money” programs in the U.S.
- Cortland was the only public college in New York state named to Phi Theta Kappa’s Transfer Honor Roll for its dedication to transfer students.
- For its work renovating three dining facilities in Corey Union, Auxiliary Services Corporation (ASC) was honored with a silver medal from the National Association of College and University Food Services (NACUFS) in the retail sales single/multiple/marketplace category of its Loyal E. Horton Dining Awards.