On August 31, 2021 New York State Police conducted an Underage Drinking Initiative in Cortland County, during which one establishment was not in compliance and sold alcohol to a minor.
The following business was found not in compliance under the New York Beverage Control Law Section 65, Prohibited Sale to Person Under the Age of 21:
Speedway – Port Watson St., Cortland, NY
An appearance ticket was issued to the clerk who sold alcohol to the minor.
Business in compliance were:
- Sunoco – NY-281, Cortland, NY
- Citgo – Webb Rd., Cortland, NY
- Kwik Fill – NY-13, Cortland, NY
- Sunoco – Port Watson, Cortland, NY
- Sunoco – US-11, Cortland, NY
- Speedway – US-11, McGraw, NY
- ONO Travel Plaza – US-11, McGraw, NY
- Valero – Cortland St., Marathon, NY
- Sunoco – Broome St., Marathon, NY
- Sunoco – NY-26, Cincinnatus, NY
During the Underage Drinking Initiative, retail establishments are checked using a trooper in plain clothes and one or sever underaged operative who cannot lie about their age of give a fake date of birth (if asked).
When asked for ID, they must show their real ID