Central New York enters its first full week of Phase One business restarts, allowing eligible construction, manufacturing, wholesale, retail and agriculture industries to get back to work.
Governor Cuomo said Friday that salons and barbershops will be allowed to reopen during phase two, which isn’t expected for at least another two weeks.
Cuomo also said this weekend that all horse racing tracks across the state and Watkins Glen International Racetrack are permitted to operate without fans beginning June 1st.
Additional information on how that might look is expected this week.
“Throughout this entire pandemic, testing was key to controlling the virus and now it will be key to monitoring the virus as we begin reopening in regions across the state,” Governor Cuomo said. “New York has worked aggressively to build a massive statewide sample collection network and is now testing more than any state or country per capita, but our new problem is we have more sites and capacity than we’re actually using.”
Over the last three weeks, a federal partnership has helped New York achieve its goal in doubling testing capacity statewide to now 40k performed each day.
Additionally, Cuomo announced expanded criteria for getting a diagnostic test to now include any individual who returns to work during phase one of the state’s reopening plan.
A new website has been launched to help New Yorkers find the nearest COVID-19 testing sites, available here.
Residents who are now eligible to get screened include the following:
- Any individual who has COVID-19 symptoms;
- Any individual who has had contact with a person known to be positive with COVID-19;
- Any individual who is subject to a precautionary or mandatory quarantine;
- Any individual who is employed as a health care worker, nursing home worker or first responder;
- Any essential worker who directly interacts with the public while working; and
- Any individual who would return to the workplace in phase one of the state’s reopening plan.
Local drive-thru testing sites are available through GCMC and Cayuga Health System:
Guthrie Cortland Medical Center
- Located at the corner of West Main Street and Homer Avenue
- Open Monday through Friday from 9 am – 5 pm and Saturdays from 8 am – 2 pm
- Call (607)299-7676 for pre registration & appointment
Cayuga Health System
- Located at the Shops at Ithaca Mall parking lot
- Open Monday through Friday from 10 am – 4 pm outside the Shops at Ithaca Mall
- Call 607-319-5708 for pre registration & appointment