Before 6:30 pm last night in the City of Cortland, a call came into 9-1-1 dispatch of a reported stove fire at 45 Church Street. Cortland Fire immediately responded to the scene which was only a block away from their station.
On route, dispatch said tenants inside the apartment used a fire extinguisher on the fire, but were unsure if it was fully out; dispatch told them to evacuate the building. On arrival, firefighters found moderate smoke conditions coming from the second floor front apartment in the building. Cortland Fire says the tenant was still inside the apartment discharging a dry chemical fire extinguisher towards the fire on the kitchen counter. The tenant also worked on ventilating the room from smoke.
Cortland Fire says due to the quick actions by the tenants using the fire extinguisher and calling 9-1-1 along with the quick response by the department, no structural damage had occurred due to the fire.
An investigation determined the fire to be accidental. One resident was treated for smoke inhalation. No other injuries were reported.
*Feature image via Google*