Is the license plate on your car or truck peeking? The State of New York is reminding you to get them replaced or face the risk of getting pulled over by local law enforcement due to the plate becoming unreadable.
The Cortland County Sheriff’s Department has provided information on how to replace your peeling license plate.
To replace your plate, the easiest method is visiting your local DMV office, where staff can assist in a replacement of a plate with the same numbers as the defective one ($20 fee applies) or be able to give you new plates at no cost.
You can schedule an appointment at the Cortland County DMV HERE
Other options to license plate replacement are listed below:
For those who wish to keep the same plate number, a fee of $20 will be required.
Replace via Mail:
- A completed application for replacement plates – Keep Same Plate Number (PDF) (PP-7).
- A picture of the peeling plate must be included with the form.
- A $20 dollar check/money order payable to ‘Commissioner of Motor Vehicles’
6 Empire State Plaza Rm 414A
Albany, NY 12228
The new registration/windshield sticker will be mailed separately from the replacement plate and can take up to 4 to 6 weeks for the new plates to arrive with the same number.
For those who wish to replace the peeling plate and get a new plate number.
Replace via Email:
- You can email at Dmv.email@example.com
- You must include your plate number in the subject line
- Included in the email must be:
- Name as it appears on the registration
- Address (City, State, and Zip)Daytime telephone number
- Peeling plate number
- A picture of the peeling plate (this must be submitted in email)
You will then receive a new registration/windshield sticker in the mail with the new plate number.
*Note* Once you submit a request via email, it is final and cannot be undone.