City of Cortland Firefighters worked quickly yesterday (December 16) to extinguish a blaze at the Crown Park Nursing facility, 28 Kellogg Road.
A direct call was made to the County 911 Center just after 2 p.m.
Cortland Deputy Fire Chief Wayne Friedman says the fire started in one of the dryers in the laundry room. The cause is said to be a build-up of excess lint.
The Fire Department was already out and about on its annual “Santa Ride” public education detail when it was called to the scene.
Crews arrived in less than two minutes and deployed a hose directly into the laundry room.
They evacuated the immediate area, but due to their quick response they managed to put the fire out and limit smoke conditions to the 1st floor.
The fire ultimately did about $10,000 in damage, but could’ve been much worse, according to Friedman.
Crown Park remains open with no interruption or limitation in services.
The City fire department was assisted on scene by the New York State Office of Fire Prevention and Control and the Cortland County Fire Coordinators Office.
The Cortlandville and Homer Fire Departments covered the City Headquarters Station while units were committed.