Milk production in New York State for September was up 4.9% from September 2015, according to a report from the USDA NY Agriculture Statistics Service.
The average price received by dairy farmers in August was reported at $17.30 per hundredweight, up $.50 from July, but down a dime from August 2015.
From the meat markets:
- Commercial red meat production in New York for September was up 12% from September 2015
- Cattle slaughter was steady, the average live weight up 40 pounds from a year ago
- Calf slaughter was up 74%, with the average live weight down 30 pounds from last year
- Hog slaughter was up 12 percent from 2015, and the average live weight was up 14 pounds
- Sheep slaughter was down 14%, with the average live weight down about 4% from 2015