Multiple incidents stretched City of Cortland firefighters thin during Saturday’s overnight shift, according to information provided by Derek Reynolds of the Cortland Professional Firefighter’s Association.
While on the scene of a fire, 3 additional calls came in at the same time period:
- An unconscious person
- Someone suffering cardiac arrest
- An additional residential fire alarm
Saturday night at about 11:23 pm, Cortland Firefighters responded to a phone call reporting an attic fire at 72 Homer Avenue.
Firefighters found a slight smoke condition when they arrived.
Their investigation turned up a small fire and smoldering insulation in the attic.
Fire crews extinguished the fire within 5 minutes, but were needed at the scene for a few hours overhauling smoldering insulation, and assisting the Fire Investigation Team.
An overloaded electrical circuit was identified as the cause of the fire, which was ruled accidental.
All personnel returned to service by 2:20 am Sunday from all alarms.
No injuries to occupants or responding firefighters were reported.