Small Laundry Room Extinguished on Central Avenue in Cortland

Local News

Crews with the city of Cortland Fire Department were called to an early-morning structure fire on Saturday (January 18) at a single family residence on Central Avenue, near the intersection with Franklin Street on the city’s east side.

Local News Updates Are Brought To You By:

News Powered by

Initially reported as a kitchen fire, it was soon discovered to have started in the laundry room from what officials believe was a malfunction in the clothes dryer. First responders reported seeing smoke visible from the back of the structure.

Officers with the city police department helped safely evacuate all occupants while firefighters deployed a hose line into the laundry room and quickly extinguished the blaze.

There were no injuries and all units were cleared by 6 am after working at the scene just over an hour, according to City Fire Chief Wayne Friedman.

“The fact that an occupant was awake and noticed the fire prevented the situation from being more severe,” said Chief Friedman. “Working smoke detectors and proper maintenance of appliances are essential for the safety of everyone in your home and need to be a priority.”

Friedman reports the damage was limited to the clothes dryer and area immediate to it.

Related Articles

© 2021. Eves Broadcasting Inc. Site By Eves Digital

Back to Top

Pin It on Pinterest