Local News

Cortland Fire Makes Quick Work of Electrical Fire in Furnace on Sunday

Advertisement

Have a news tip? TeXt Us @ 607-749-WXHC (9942) or e-mail us here.

 

Image via Cortland Fire

Right when the storms were about to hit the Cortland area on Sunday June 23rd around 3pm, Cortland Fire received a report for a reported structure fire at 49 Madison Street. Cortland County 9-1-1 dispatch reported to first responders of a smoke condition within the structure. 


On arrival at the scene, firefighters immediately began to search the structure and were able to identify the smoke was not from an active fire, but from melted plastic and components of a furnace due to an electrical malfunction. Cortland Fire says further investigation found the malfunction could have stemmed from leaking water from the hot water heater piping to the furnace. 

No injuries were reported and everyone was able to make it out of the building safely, Cortland Fire said. Firefighters then began to ventilate the smoke from the building and used metering devices to ensure air quality levels were safe.

Cortland Fire also noted the call came in from an occupant after they had gotten home and there was no early detection from smoke detectors as they were not properly functioning. A new smoke and carbon monoxide detector was installed by Cortland Fire in the basement before they cleared the scene.

The fire department says they will install smoke detectors in homes within the City of Cortland for residents free of charge. Anyone who would like to schedule an appointment is asked to contact Cortland Fire Headquarters at 607-756-5612.

On Air Now

Now Playing On X101

Download The X101 App

×

Site Designed & Hosted by Eves Digital