There were no injuries or damage in connection with an electrical fire at the Early Head Start on Huntington Street in Cortland this morning.
Just before 11 o’clock this morning Cortland City Firefighters responded to the day care facility at 5 Huntington street for possible electrical fire.
An employee in a storage room reported hearing a popping noise and then smelled smoke.
The building which houses 3 classrooms, Head Start offices, and the Head Start program kitchen was immediately evacuated. There were about 15 students under the age of 5 in the building at the time. One small group of students were on a walk at the time.
Cortland Community Action Program Executive Director Lindy Glennon says staff reacted as trained and evacuated the building. About 20 minutes later children were preparing for lunch and playing outdoors. Many of the kids were excited to see the fire trucks.
According to City Fire Chief Chuck Glover, it appears that a lighting ballast malfunctioned causing the problem. An electrician was called in to replace the fixture and install additional smoke detectors.