With the recent weather and the snowmobile trails starting to open, the Cortland County Sheriff’s Office would like to share some snowmobile safety tips with you.
Snowmobile Safety Tips:
1. Take a snowmobile safety course.
2. Check the weather forecast and the trail conditions.
3. Wear appropriate clothes and protective gear.
4. Inspect your snowmobile before your ride.
5. Bring a buddy.
6. Carry a first-aid kit, emergency kit and repair kit.
7. Stay alert.
8. Avoid frozen rivers.
9. Do not speed.
10. Stay on the trail.
11. Children under the age of six should never ride as a passenger according to the American Academy of Pediatrics.
12. Do not overload your snowmobile.
13. Never drink and drive.
14. Do not pull people on anything behind your snowmobile.
15. Do not ride on railroad tracks