Local News

Clayton Ave. Fire Update – Second Dog Dies, No Smoke Detectors Found Inside Building

Advertisement

Have a news tip? TeXt Us @ 607-749-WXHC (9942) or e-mail us here.

 

A second dog has died after a structure fire that took place back on Saturday, November 18th on Clayton Ave. in the City of Cortland. The fire left two families homeless, displacing twelve people in total.


Firefighters removed three dogs from the residence during the fire. Unfortunately, one died due to smoke and heat at the scene. Two others were taken to Cornell Veterinary Hospital for treatment, with one later dying.

The investigation into the fire was ruled accidental. However, an investigation found there were no smoke or carbon monoxide detectors inside either unit in the house. During the City of Cortland Common Council meeting earlier this week Cortland Mayor, Scott Steve, said single and two-unit residence properties are allowed a self inspection when it comes to having functioning smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.

Mayor Steve also noted the City of Cortland Fire Department has numerous smoke detectors available for city residents.

On Air Now

Now Playing On X101

Download The X101 App

×

Site Designed & Hosted by Eves Digital