Local News

City of Ithaca Awarded FEMA Funding For Flood Mitigation Project


The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has announced it has awarded funds for the City of Ithaca’s flood mitigation project. The funding is for phase one of the project, which is estimated to cost $800K. FEMA will match 90% of the cost, with the City of Ithaca covering the remaining 10%.

The funding will be used to develop and prepare the final design and construction documents for flood control along Six Mile, Cascadilla, and Fall Creeks in Ithaca. It will also obtain the construction permits necessary for the project. Once phase 1 is completed, FEMA will then review the project for phase 2 and the release of funding up to $10.1 million.

The project is expected to take approximately 3 years to complete and will result in changes to FEMA flood maps.

Mayor Laura Lewis stated, “As your Mayor, I understand the genuine concerns residents have regarding the rising costs of flood insurance and the finalization of the flood maps. By proactively enhancing our flood mitigation measures, we not only bolster our community’s resilience but also work towards alleviating the strain on individual budgets. These FEMA funds will move us much closer to crucial infrastructure work on flood mitigation and we are thankful for their support.”

The City of Ithaca has provided additional information regarding the flood mitigation efforts, you can learn more HERE.

On Air Now

Now Playing On X101

Download The X101 App

Site Designed & Hosted by Eves Digital