A fire across the street from the firehouse drew Cortland firefighters Saturday afternoon.
For the second time in less than two weeks, firefighters are concerned that it was a fire caused by improperly discarded charcoal.
Deputy Cortland Fire Chief Bill Knickerbocker says two women saw the flames and ran across the street to tell firefighters.
At about 4:15, firefighters found a small fire in an alley near the 4-story Court View Apartments building that had gotten into the ceiling area of the basement.
Teams of firefighters evacuated the 23 apartments.
The building used to be the Cortland YMCA and the smoke and flames triggered the sprinkler system over the empty pool in the basement.
The fire was controlled within 10 minutes but caused an estimated $20,000 damage.
No injuries were reported.
Firefighters ask that you please be careful where you dispose of charcoal.