Cayuga County is considering steps to reduce the negative impacts of manure runoff on local watersheds.
A taskforce created to review the issue has released a report with 5 recommendations.
• Developing watershed management plans based on EPA guidelines.
• Encouraging all farms to adopt minimum nutrient management requirements when applying manure on cropland.
• Specify the field conditions that must exist and management practices that must be followed when applying manure on frozen, snow-covered or saturated soil.
• Turning surface-applied manure into the soil as soon as possible after application.
• Focus more attention on water pollution control programs and penalize repeat, uncooperative offenders.
The task force plans to present its findings at a June 25th public meeting.