Local News

Cause of Fire on Main Street Determined


The cause of a fire that occurred at 139 Main Street (Garcia’s Grocery) in the City of Cortland on Monday evening has been determined.

City of Cortland Fire Department Chief Wayne Friedman told X101 the cause was found to be in a light fixture located towards the front of the building. The light fixture was embedded in the ceiling. Chief Friedman said investigators were able to trace the origin to the fire to the wiring area of the light fixture.

Friedman also said to X101 he is optimistic the restaurant can recover, all depending on insurance and finances. He also noted the first floor, which houses the kitchen to Garcia’s, suffered significant water damage, but avoided any fire damage.

On Monday evening, a 2nd alarm fire at the address listed above brought in all hands for the City of Cortland Fire Department with assistance from Homer and Cortlandville Fire Departments. Virgil and McGraw helped with coverage as fire crews fought the flames. The fire was under control just about an hour after the initial call.

No injuries occurred to occupants and fire fighters.

On Air Now

Now Playing On X101

Download The X101 App


Site Designed & Hosted by Eves Digital