UPDATED (6:30 am)
City crews were called to a two-alarm fire around 12:30 this morning (March 13) at the Kik Corporation on Central Avenue in Cortland.
City Chief Wayne Friedman said his firefighters arrived to find smoke throughout the building with a strong odor of natural gas also prevalent.
All Kik employees were evacuated and a second alarm was rang due to the size of the building and unknown extent of the fire.
Eventually, the blaze was located in a rooftop HVAC unit and brought under control within 15 minutes once discovered.
Gas was shut off to the building and crews helped maintenance personnel isolate the HVAC Unit and check the building for any additional fire spread.
Ultimately, no one was injured and any dollar amount of damage is unconfirmed at this time.
Crews were clear of the scene by 2:00, with Kik also resuming normal operations at that time.
Assistance from the Cortlandville Fire Department was provided on scene while the
Dryden and Homer Fire Department’s covered the City Fire Stations.
ORIGINAL (1:15 am)
City of Cortland Firefighters responded around 12:40 early this morning (3/13) to a reported fire at the loading dock at Kik Corporation on Elm Street in the city.
Firefighters on scene called for a second alarm.
Cortlandville and Homer Fire Departments were staged at the City’s Fire Department.
We’re working to get more information as this is a breaking news story.