Local News

Alton B. Parker honored In County Courthouse Finally Getting A Plaque

Advertisement

Former City of Cortland Mayor Marty Mack. X101 Photo

It was exactly one hundred years to the hour at yesterday’s ceremony of the laying of the Cornerstone at the Cortland County Courthouse that Alton B. Parker got a plaque recognizing his accomplishments


The original groundbreaking ceremony took place at 2 pm on October 5th, 1922 on the grounds of the Cortland Normal School, the predecessor to SUNY Cortland.

It would be Parker’s last trip to Cortland as he passed away in 1926.

Many local governments and educators were also recognized for supporting this endeavor to recognize Parker, including Honorable Elizabeth A. Garry, Presiding Justice, Appellate Division, Third Department, Town of Cortlandville Supervisor Tom Williams, Dr. Erik Bitterbaum, current president of SUNY Cortland, City of Cortland Mayor Scott Steve, Superintendent of the Cortland Enlarged City School District Bob Edwards, as well as the Cortland County Historical Society.

Precising over the ceremony was the Honorable Mark G. Masler, Supreme Court Justice.
He introduced former mayor of the City of Cortland, Marty Mack, who shared his knowledge of Judge Parker’s career.

Alton B. Parker later served as Chief Judge of the New York Court of Appeals from 1898 to 1904, he then ran as the democratic candidate for the 1904 US presidential election, but lost to then incumbent Teddy Roosevelt.

The plaque will hang under his portrait in the County Courthouse.

On Air Now

Now Playing On X101

Download The X101 App

×

Site Designed & Hosted by Eves Digital