The Cortland County Budget and Finance committee will meet on Tuesday (November 12) and authorize both the third quarter sales tax distribution for FY-2019 and the occupancy tax allocations for 2020.
A total of $8.4M in sales tax revenue was calculated by the state comptroller, of which $1.5M is automatically taken off the top and placed in the jail reserve fund, as per a 2018 sales tax agreement.
Another 54% goes exclusively to county purposes, with the rest being spread around the various municipalities, several of which have opted to use part of their sales tax dollars to off-set the property tax levy.
A total of just under $3.7M was ultimately distributed.
See the full breakdown below:
Additionally at Tuesday’s meeting, the committee will vote on authorizing the county’s 2020 tourism & marketing grants, otherwise known as the occupancy tax allocation.
About $280K will be distributed to 18 different organizations.
That process was conducted by a review group that’s facilitated by the Convention and Visitors Bureau, which then makes recommendations on allocation amounts to the Legislature.
Next year’s totals are currently set as follows:
- 1890 House Museum – $12,000
- Brockway Truck Preservation Society – $10,000
- Center for the Arts of Homer – $23,000
- Central NY Maple Festival – $5,500
- Cortland Area Innkeepers Association – $6,000
- Cortland Crush NYCBL Baseball – $5,000
- Cortland County Historical Society – $12,000
- Cortland Main Street Music Series – $2,000
- Cortland Regional Sports Council – $118,000
- Cortland Repertory Theatre – $25,000
- Cultural Council of Cortland County – $8,500
- Holiday in Homer – $2,000′
- Homer Cortland Community Agency – $12,000′
- Homeville Museum – $1,000
- JM McDonald Sports Complex – $20,000
- Lime Hollow Nature Center – $12,000
- Little York Fiber Arts Festival – $2,000
- Statewide Country Music Park – $4,000
These numbers are usually bring contention from organizations that feel they’ve either been shorted or left out of the distribution.
Tuesday’s meeting will also bring up a vote for TC3’s 2020 operating budget.
Stay tuned with WXHC News for all the updates.