With the presence of these extreme temperatures, NYSEG is offering help on how to keep your home safe.
They say the risk of fire, carbon monoxide poisoning and other hazards can increase during frigid weather.
Residents should keep exhaust vents, gas meters and regulators clear of snow and ice as they clean up after winter storms, as blockages could potentially cause toxic fumes and poisonous carbon monoxide to build up indoors.
Other tips from NYSEG:
–If you are unable to keep your home safely and comfortably heated, call 211 for resources that can help you and your family. Exposure to extreme cold can cause serious medical conditions including hypothermia and frostbite. To avoid them, stay indoors if possible and wear warm clothing, including head coverings, gloves or mittens.
–Smoke and carbon monoxide detectors should be located on every level of your home, outside all sleeping areas. Test them monthly and replace the batteries at least twice a year.
–Use only space heaters that have been tested and certified by a nationally recognized testing laboratory. Read and follow the manufacturer’s instructions, and never use a device designed for outdoor use indoors.
–Place the space heater on a level surface away from foot traffic, at least 3 feet from combustible materials. Inspect the cord for fraying, and after plugging it in, periodically feel the cord near the outlet to make sure the plastic is not getting hot. Do not run the space heater cord under a rug or carpeting, and never use an extension cord for a space heater. Keep children and pets away, and turn off the space heater when you leave the area.
–Keep the furnace area clear of flammable materials and keep vents clear to provide a good air supply to your heating system to ensure proper combustion.
–Water pipes that are exposed to cold temperatures may freeze and burst. Don’t ignore drips or odd noises from your heating system. Wrap exposed pipes in your basement with pipe insulation to help them retain heat and avoid freezing.