Multiple fire departments and ambulance companies responded to a hazardous situation at the Cortland County SPCA shelter this morning.
Just before 9 o’clock this morning, employees and volunteers performing routine cleaning at the shelter, located at 879 McLean Road, mixed bleach, lyme and sulfur dip, which created toxic fumes inside the building.
Stacy Griswold, an employee at the shelter, says co-workers immediately evacuated the cats from the room and took the bucket of solution out of the building. As many as 9 volunteers and employees were overcome by the fumes and experienced breathing problems.
The Cortland City HAZMAT Team, along with Cortlandville and Homer Firefighters responded to the shelter.
The impacted employees were stripped down and decontaminated before they were taken to hospital by ambulance for treatment. Many of the victims were treated and released.
Over 50 animals in the shelter at the time of the chemical hazard also had to be individually decontaminated.
The SPCA says it will likely need to dispose of its supplies, and they will need to be replaced.
Donations to the Cortland County SPCA can be dropped off at the Cortlandville Fire Station.