If you are registering your snowmobile for the first time, here is what you need to bring to a DMV office:
- a completed Snowmobile Registration Application (MV-82SN)
- proof of identity and age. See DMV form ID-82 Proofs of Identification. You must be at least 16 years old to register a snowmobile in New York.
- proof of ownership and bill of sale: non-residents can use photocopies of proof of ownership and aren’t required to pay the NYS sales tax if the snowmobile is registered in another state
- proof of identity and age
- cash, check or credit card for the $100 registration fee and sales tax, or proof of sales tax payment or exemption. If you have a current, valid NYSSA voucher, and bring the voucher to the office, the fee for your registration is $45.00.
Apart from the first $5 collected, the registration fees are used to support snowmobiling in New York State. There are more than 10,400 miles in the Statewide Snowmobile Trail System traversing 45 counties, maintained by over 200 clubs, and funded through 51 municipal sponsors.
For non-New Yorkers looking to use their snowmobiles in New York State, you can register if your snowmobile is already registered in your home state. Use the NYS Registration for Out-of-State Snowmobile service to get a temporary (15 day) NYS registration and operate your snowmobile here immediately. We will send you your permanent registration in the mail.
Snowmobilers must carry registration and proof of insurance documents on their person at all times while snowmobiling. Riders must produce the documents at the request of any law enforcement officer or magistrate. Additionally, riders must produce insurance documentation at the request of anyone who is injured or suffers property damage as a result of operation of a snowmobile. Holders of snowmobile safety certificates must carry the certificate when they are snowmobiling.
DMV also reminds snowmobilers that it is illegal to operate one while impaired by drugs or alcohol, and drivers and passengers must wear helmets on the state snowmobile trail system.
New York State is a leader in snowmobile education and offers operator training courses for snowmobilers of all ages beginning at age 10. For more information, visit https://parks.ny.gov/recreation/snowmobiles/education.aspx.
You can learn more about registering a snowmobile in New York State on the DMV’s website.
This information provided by the NYS DMV