Listen Live

Pot Left Cooking on Stove Prompts Response From Cortland Firefighters

Local News

Cortland firefighters made quick work of a potentially dangerous fire at an apartment complex last night.

Shortly after 6pm , city firefighters were called to 61 Madison Street for a report of a smoke alarm going off and smoke showing.

Rescuers arrived to find smoke inside one of the apartment units there. The resident was not home and the rest of the building had been evacuated.

City Deputy Fire Cheif Wayne Friedman says the resident left a pot cooking unattended on the stove, which created a smoke condition inside the apartment. Fortunately, there were working smoke detectors, which alerted neighbors to the situation.

There was no damage to the building.

Chief Friedman says his department continues to see an increase in cooking-related fires.

He urges everyone never to leave anything unattended on the stove and make sure the area around the cooking surface is free of flammable items and grease.

Related Articles

WXHC.com Is Powered By:
Powered By
Copyright 2019. Eves Broadcasting Inc.

Back to Top