A 19-year-old Groton man was arrested Saturday (January 25) after turning himself in on charges that include first degree rape and unlawful imprisonment.
The Cortland County Sheriff’s Office got a walk-in complaint just before 1:00 Friday morning, when a victim told them about two separate domestic disputes with Dakota Burhans, of Montgomery Road.
Investigators say these incidents occurred in the town of Cincinnatus on Wednesday and Thursday of last week, during which the defendant made unwanted sexual contact with the victim.
Burhans turned himself into the Sheriff’s Office on Saturday and was charged with the following:
- Rape in the 1st Degree (Class B Felony)
- Criminal Obstruction of Breathing (Class A Misdemeanor)
- Unlawful Imprisonment in the 2nd Degree (Class A Misdemeanor)
- Forcible Touching (Class A Misdemeanor)
- Criminal Mischief in the 4th Degree (Class A Misdemeanor)
- Harassment in the 2nd Degree (Violation)
He was arraigned that same day and held on $1,000 cash / $2,500 bond until his return date to Cincinnatus Town Court, which is set for later this evening at 7:00.