The Homer Trojans defeated the Lafayette Lancers 14-7 in the Section III semifinals. Dean Riley, Jake Gray, Chris Brown and Brad Sovocool had three goals each. Homer will play Cazenovia, who beat Westhill 9-2, in the title game on Saturday, May 24 at 2:30 p.m.
In Section III baseball, the Cortland Purple Tigers defeated the Bishop Ludden Gaelic Knights with a score of 9-1. Sage Brown and Justin Prentice had 2 RBI's each, while Zach Whelan added a solo homerun of his own to the tally.
Dryden edged Chenango Forks 3-1, behind a complete-game, four-hit, eight-strikeout performance by John Whitmore, who also scored a run.
SUNY Cortland Sports:
- The Red Dragons will face Salisbury University in the first round of its 12th NCAA Division III World Series, after defeating Kean University 10-1 in the New York Regional Championship on Sunday. Cortland will commence their opening series Friday, May 23 at 5:30 p.m. Eastern time.
OUTDOOR WOMEN'S TRACK AND FIELD DIV. III CHAMPIONSHIPS (DAY 1)
- Taylor Hudson placed 11th out of 22 in the long jump, with a jump of 5.49m.
OUTDOOR MEN'S TRACK AND FIELD DIV. III CHAMPIONSHIPS (DAY 1)
- Melique Garcia placed 15th in the 200m dash preliminaries, doing so 21.70 seconds. Garcia missed the qualification for day two of the championships by .27 seconds. However, he will compete in the 100m dash preliminaries on Friday, May 23 at 7:45 p.m.
- Tom Hopkins placed 19th in the 10,000m with a time of 32:30.35.
- Glen Forsythe placed 19th in the long jump, with a jump of 6.65m. He will compete in the triple jump finals on Saturday, May 24 at noon.
OTHER SPORTS NEWS:
- Minor League Baseball Yesterday: Syracuse over Pawtucket 6-1. The teams will meet again tonight in Syracuse. Elsewhere it was Portland over Binghamton 6-5. The B-Mets are home to New Britin tonight.
- Former Syracuse Crunch Goaltender Dustin Tokarski got the start for the Montreal Canadians in their 3-2 win in overtime over the New York Rangers. Tokarski made 35 saves and earned the first playoff win of his career.