Back
Improperly Discarded Smoking Materials Caused Homer House Fire Today
Thursday, December 26, 2013
Improperly Discarded Smoking Materials Caused Homer House Fire Today
Homer and Cortland Firefighters responded to a house fire on Main Street in the Village of Homer early this morning.

Shortly before 1 o’clock this morning Firefighters were called to a report of a bedroom fire at 64 North Main Street in Homer.
 
Homer Chief Mahlon Irish Jr. was the first person on the scene; he reported heavy smoke coming from the second floor of the 2 story single family home.
 
Firefighters entered the home and found heavy smoke, inside the house they found a mattress on fire they; immediately they tossed the burning mattress outside and prevented the fire from spreading any further. The fire was under control in about 10 minutes.
 
An elderly woman living in the home was the only person home when the fire broke out, she was able to escape and called for help.
 
Irish says it appears that improperly discarded smoking materials started the fire; it was also revealed that there were three smoke detectors in home, but none of them had batteries in them.
 
Irish says the home sustained light fire damage; there was heavy smoke damage on the second floor and some water damage to both floors. The home is uninhabitable right now until code inspectors can go through the house.
 
Irish said the woman was lucky she made it out of the home uninjured, he stressed the need for residents to have working smoke detectors in their homes, that includes making sure they are equipped with working batteries. 
Internet Explorer Users Click Here To See What's On-Air
LISTEN LIVE
ON-DEMAND
Advertise
Contest Rules
Contact Us
Copyright 2014. Eves Broadcasting Inc.
Site Designed and Maintained by MME
Local News
Submit A News Photo Or Video
Help us out! If you see news take a picture and or video and submit it here!
'Like' Us On Facebook
Music News
On-Air Now
Listen Live With Our App