Back
Early Morning Fire Damages LaPeer Home
Friday, June 21, 2013
Early Morning Fire Damages LaPeer Home
Several local fire fighters responded to a house fire in the Cortland County Town of LaPeer early this morning.

Just before two o’clock this morning the Marathon Fire Department was called to a possible house fire at 661 Wood rd in Lapeer.
 
When rescuers arrived they found smoke coming from the eaves of the two story wood frame historic home. Two people were asleep in the house when the fire broke out; they were able to get out safely. The home is owned by Victor and Paula Booth.

Firefighters initially had difficulty locating the fire, but eventually they found intense heat and dense smoke in the attic area.

A vent hole was cut in the roof of the house to allow heat and smoke to escape, fire was then located between the 2nd floor ceiling and the attic area. 
 
The fire was then brought under control quickly, rescuers spent several hours tearing into the walls and ceiling to make sure the flames had not extended further into the home.
 
The home was built in the early 1800s, it previously sustained a fire in 1945.  The house has been renovated multiple times and is currently under renovation.
 
The cause of the fire was determined to be an electrical issue unrelated to the current renovations.
 
The cost of damage is unknown, the home sustained smoke and water damage. There were working smoke detectors in the house, but for some reason they did not activate.
 
In addition to Marathon, Killawog, Harford, Virgil, Cortlandville, Lisle and Willet all responded to the scene.
Internet Explorer Users Click Here To See What's On-Air
LISTEN LIVE
ON-DEMAND
Advertise
Contest Rules
Contact Us
Copyright 2014. Eves Broadcasting Inc.
Site Designed and Maintained by MME
Local News
Submit A News Photo Or Video
Help us out! If you see news take a picture and or video and submit it here!
'Like' Us On Facebook
Music News
On-Air Now
Listen Live With Our App