A woman sustained minor burns in a kitchen fire at a home on Central Ave in the City of Cortland last night.
Around 5:30 last night Cortland City Firefighters responded to a report of a house fire at 167 Central Ave, witnesses reported they could see heavy smoke and flames coming from the two story two family home.
Upon arrival rescuers encountered heavy smoke coming from the house, an unidentified woman and two children had already escaped the house. Rescuers entered the home and were able to bring the fire under control in about 10 minutes or less.
The house is owned by Gudy Arysti of 29 North West Road, Homer, the women living in the home is his daughter.
According to fire investigators the woman was cooking, she turned away from the stove for a moment and when she looked back a pan of grease had caught fire and began spread quickly, in an attempt to extinguish the flames she received a burn to her forehead, she was taken to the Cortland Regional Medical Center treated and released.
The home sustained fire, water, and smoke damage; the damage estimate was around $25 thousand dollars. The upstairs apartment was used as an office and was not occupied at the time of the fire.
In addition to Cortland firefighters, Cortlandville firefighters and the Cortland County Fire Coordinators Office responded to the scene. A portion of Pomeroy Street at the intersection of Central Ave was closed down for a couple hours.