Back
Cortland Home Catches Fire For Second Time in Less Than Two Weeks
Friday, January 4, 2013
Cortland  Home Catches Fire For Second Time in Less Than Two Weeks
Cortland City firefighters battled a blaze at home on Harrington Street last night, it’s the same house that was heavily damaged by fire back on December 22nd.
 
Shortly after 9 o’clock last night city rescuers were called to 16 Harrington Avenue for a report of an attic fire. Upon arrival firefighters found flames coming from the third floor attic of the single family home, one man who had been staying in the home was able to escape uninjured. The home is owned by SUNY Cortland communications professor Thomas Mwanika.
 
Just a few days before Christmas, firefighters put out a fire that had already caused heavy damage to the house. The cause of that first fire was believed to be electrical; it’s believed this latest fire was the result of the homeowner’s son using a fireplace that was not properly maintained.
 
According to Deputy City Fire Chief Wayne Friedman, following the initial fire the home was repairable, but at this point the home has become unstable and will most likely have to be torn down.
 
Due to the freezing temperatures rescuers had to contend with slick conditions, but the city D-P-W responded with salt trucks and stood by to assist at the scene.
 
In addition to the City Fire Department, firefighters and equipment from Homer and Cortlandville responded to the scene.

The Cortland County Fire Coordinators Office also responded and the Dryden Fire Departments ladder truck was brought to the Cortlandville Fire Station to respond to any other emergencies.

Photo Courtesy of Lara Weaver
 
Internet Explorer Users Click Here To See What's On-Air
LISTEN LIVE
ON-DEMAND
Advertise
Contest Rules
Contact Us
Copyright 2014. Eves Broadcasting Inc.
Site Designed and Maintained by MME
Local News
Submit A News Photo Or Video
Help us out! If you see news take a picture and or video and submit it here!
'Like' Us On Facebook
Music News
On-Air Now
Listen Live With Our App